The Last Jedi Premiere - BONUS - Porg Kigurumi/Onesie

As stated in my last post, there was a toss up on what to wear the Disney Springs Premiere. While I did end up going in the Daisy dress, I ended the evening in my Porg Kigurumi. This is by far one of the easiest and most comfortable things I have ever made/wore. Special thanks to my friend Amelia for helping me with this project.


I've seen a couple of these floating around Etsy, but I didn't have $100+ to throw at something I wasn't even sure I was going to like once the movie came out. As it turns out I loved the porgs after seeing. So began the research into this project. Kigurumis are pretty common these days and thankfully Simplicity came out with its own version.
Now it was a matter of deciding how we wanted to go about making it look like a porg. My friend and I decided to go with something a little more cartoony look rather than try to make something that looked exactly like the movie version. Our inspiration was the plushie porg and its color scheme.

My friend and I made the trip over to Jo-Ann's and grabbed some of the Anti-pill fleece in Heather Charcoal Grey, Ivory, and Daffodil. While the Blizzard would have been cheaper, I recommend spending just a little bit more for the Anti-pill. It doesn't pill as quickly (as the name would suggest) and has a nicer feel than the Blizzard. The pattern is very easy to follow and the whole thing came together in a few hours, it only required a few modifications.
I didn't want to make the entire front ivory, so I used the up portion of the front piece pattern to cut out the grey and sewed it to the ivory. Also, instead of using buttons as the pattern suggested, we found a long ivory zipper at Jo-Ann's and did that instead. The last change that we made to the body was making a small nub at the bottom to serve as the tail.
So with the bulk of the body done aside from the cuffs, we moved on to the hood. There really wasn't anything to change the hood save for the lip. I cut out the hood pieces and stitched it together before topstitching the face to it. For the lip I cut a strip of the ivory about 4"-5" wide that ran the length of the hood. Folding it in half, I handstitched the gathered portion in the middle and attached that to the grey top layer before adding the lining.

The face was easy enough. I sketched out a few face shape ideas before settling on the one we used.
 I used a cup to trace out the eyes on black felt and pinned them to the face shape I had cut out of the ivory fleece. And then I cut a piece of the yellow fleece to frame the ivory and ran that through the sewing machine, sewing as close as I could to the edge of the ivory.


Sidenote: The first time around I didn't put the face on first before adding the lip and the lining so I would recommend attaching the face before stitching those two on.

The nostril pieces were two slivers I cut off of the felt and attached with E6000, though tack stitching them down would work too.
After that, it was just a matter of attaching the hood and the cuffs and then starting on the next one. Overall this was a very easy and simple project to throw together. Not to mention it was much easier to wear in the theater for 2.5 hours than the dress would have been.

Thank you so much for checking out my blog. I have some new projects coming up and I can't wait to share it with you. Cheers!
-DS




Comments

Popular Posts